Wisdom Tooth Extraction
If you need to have a wisdom tooth extracted, Tetrick Family Dentistry can make the experience quick and convenient for you. After your extraction, though, you will need to take certain measures to maximize your comfort and minimize your recovery time.
Post-care and Tips for Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Here are some tips regarding what to expect and what to do in the days following the removal of your tooth:
- Under normal circumstances, your recovery period shouldn’t last more than a few days.
- During this time, you will probably want to take painkillers or apply an ice pack to the outside of your mouth to reduce your pain and swelling.
- Avoid smoking products of any kind. Your sensitive gum tissues are easily aggravated by the smoke.
- Consume softer foods, like soup and pudding. Reintroduce yourself to solid foods gradually as your condition improves.
- As you sleep, prop your head up with pillows. Laying flat on your back can encourage bleeding.
- Avoid using a straw. This can loosen your blood clot.
- Relax. An increased heart rate can encourage bleeding.
- After the first 24 hours, try rinsing your mouth a few times a day with salt water.
- You can make an appropriate salt solution by mixing one teaspoon of salt with eight ounces of warm water.
Contact Tetrick Family Dentistry Bellingham
If you have any questions or concerns about getting your wisdom teeth extracted, please feel free to contact our Bellingham dentistry so we can explain the procedure process and answer your questions.